Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Rightest Wrong Number

For some reason, my phone gets an awful lot of wrong number callers. It must be easy to confuse with other numbers, I don't know. But, once last year, getting a wrong number was possibly the most amazing thing ever.

I was in my apartment, just walking around doing lord knows what, and I get a call. I look at the ID number. My phone simply lists the phone number that is calling, meaning that number is not in my phone. But, seeing as how I know many people and it just might be someone I know, I pick up. I hear this:

Unknown: Hey man, what's up?

What a vague greeting, no? You don't realize these things normally, but saying something like "What's up?" is so uninformative. If you're not familiar with the voice, you have no idea who's talking to you.

So, I respond.

Me: Hey, nothing much. What's up with you?

With that response, I was hoping to find out an important detail that could lead me to discovering the identity of this phantom caller. He responded:

Unknown: Oh nothing.

Strike. I hit nothing. I hit an "Oh nothing," to be precise. So, I tried once more:

Me: Whatcha doing tonight?

Specific. Challenging. There was no chance I wouldn't get information out of this answer. And I was right:

Unknown: I'm just about to head to Toon's with Tiffany and John.

Ding! I know I do not know this person. I know no Tiffany, and I know no John. At least, no John that knows a Tiffany. And, more importantly, I do not know anyone who knows them both at the same time. I also do not frequent Toon's, which told me that I not only did not know this person, but that they were in San Jose. Just like me. It was then time to hang up. Or was it? I got a strange idea in my head right then, and that idea was, "Don't hang up the phone." And I didn't.

Me: Cool, cool. Can I come along?

The answer to this question would tell me if they thought I was still someone else.

Unknown: Sure man.

They did.

Me: When were you guys gonna head over there?

Unknown: We're gonna be there at like 10.

Me: Cool. I'll see ya then.

I was content. I made people think that I, as another person, would meet them somewhere in town. I was satisfied. But then, it hit.

Unknown: Cool. Oh, can you also give Mark a call?

It was further confirmed that I had no knowledge of the man on the other end. How could I turn down a perfect opportunity like this?

Me: Sure. Should I tell him to meet us there?

Unknown: Yeah, that would be fine.

Me: Cool. I'll see you guys there.

Unknown: Yeah.

Me: Later.

Unknown: Later.

I hung up the phone feeling... powerful. I slept well that night. And, since I may have ruined Mark's night, I hope he did too.

No comments:

Post a Comment