Friday, March 13, 2009

I never thought this would happen

Last night there was an open mic night hosted by my dorm buildings Hall Government. I usually play at an open mic night, because (a) most of my friends are in the Hall Government or associated with it and like to see me play, and (b) I get to play my music. I love playing music. It's so much fun, so energetic. I don't care if people like it or not, I just love to play.

For those who don't know, I play acoustic ska music with an emphasis on comedy. I have been called an "Acoustic Skamedian," which I think is pretty funny.

I realize that ska music isn't necessarily the best way to make money, but, then again, I don't really care about making money. Sure, making money through music is cool, but it's definitely much more satisfying to play your own music for others to hear and spread it around. Ska is the best genre I know, and I love to play and sing to it.

I've been doing the solo ska thing for a couple years now, since 2007. I've played a couple open mics before that, and it's always fun. I did once get paid, but it was a payment reserved for another performer who didn't come and my friend who was running the whole thing didn't care and wanted to give me money. So, I took it!

Like I said, there was an open mic last night that I played at. This other guy, Tyler, also played their too. He has been playing the other open mics for a while now, and I just liked him ever since he played Blink-182's "Fuck A Dog" in front like 200 students last semester. That's amazing. Tyler's dad, who is always at his open mic performances, is a promoter and I've heard him talk about how Tyler's band has a record deal and is getting big. Tyler's a talented guy, so it doesn't surprise me.

Last night, after I performed and Tyler performed, the dad comes up to me and says that he wants to hire me and have me open up for Tyler's band next month.

Again.

Last night, after I performed and Tyler performed, the dad comes up to me and says that he wants to hire me and have me open up for Tyler's band next month.

He wanted my contact info and told how much he liked what he heard and my personality and stuff, and I just started flipping out in my head. It was insane. I gave it to him and he said he'd call me and we'd finalize it and that I would get PAID. Oh my god. Actually get paid for performing. This is what any artist starting out strives for. To start getting out there and making money so they can further promote themselves and get noticed even more. That's AWESOME.

I still can't believe it's happening. Here's my music MySpace page:

http://www.myspace.com/mrawesomemusic

I need to get my guitar fixed. This is going to be historical.

1 comment: