Sunday, March 1, 2009

My first official story ever. On this blog. Ever.

Earlier last night (around 9:15), I decided to go to Best Buy and buy the new Jason Mraz CD. I heard a song of his on the radio today while helping to prepare a costume for this theater production I'm in, and was like, "Yes, Jason Mraz. I will buy your CD." I was also probably going to buy a DVD. I say probably because there's an endless amount of DVD's I should own but have yet to purchase.

Anyway, I head over to the Best Buy. I look through the CD's trying to figure out if they alphabetize solo artists by their first name or their last name. Apparently, they do both. I find Jason Mraz's name and We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. is not there. Great. My reason for coming to Best Buy had just been shattered. So, I had to buy something else.

I head over to the comedy CD section because I haven't bought a comedy CD in quite a while. I don't even remember the last time I did. There's a bunch of CD's I already own, a bunch I did not want to own, and few I want to buy. I picked up a CD by this guy Mike Birbiglia. I had not heard of him that much before, but I recalled hearing good things about him. Having not heard his comedy before, I decided this would be the first part of my purchase.

I head up the escalator to the DVD section, for I knew I would not walk away from this Best Buy without at least one DVD in my hands. I notice immediately the "Hits for $6.99" sign, and look under it. I see a couple I'm interested in, but Fracture is the film that catches my eye. When such a good movie is available for less than $10, it must be mine. I decide it will be the second part of my purchase.

Slightly more down the row, I see Pineapple Express. It is the "Unrated Edition". I then take out my iPhone and look up the Wikipedia entry on Pineapple Express. Because I am the type of person that needs to own the best version of a movie out on DVD.

Say a movie called Hat is out on DVD. Then, say that there is a 2-disc unrated edition of Hat. Now say there is a 3-disc unrated edition of Hat with a bonus digital copy. I'm buying that version.

So, the Wikipedia entry for Pineapple Express says that there is an "Unrated Edition" and a "2-Disc Unrated Special Edition", so my mission becomes trying to find the "2-Disc Unrated Special Edition" in the store, otherwise I'm not buying Pineapple Express. I go to the Comedy section to see if there's any more copies of it, and if the "2-Disc Unrated Special Edition" is any of the ones amongst those copies. I scan across from M to R, an back to M and back to R. I look up and down at least twice before I finally hit the P's. I guess there aren't many films that begin with the letter P. That or Best Buy is slacking off. Anyways, once I hit the P's, I find one last copy of Pineapple Express. And guess what? It is the "2-Disc Unrated Special Edition". I decide it will make my purchase a trifecta.

So then, satisfied with my choices for the night, I head to the down escalator. I just randomly look around while on my ride, and then I look to the upper right. I see two tables with video games piled on top of them. On those tables I see paper signs. The signs read:

"Any game with these stickers (example of the sticker in question) is 50% OFF"

My head is frozen in place. I already have one CD and two DVD's. This purchase is already going to be a pretty penny (even though one of the DVD's is only 7 bucks). I ask myself, "Should I travel upstairs and see if there is anything worth purchasing one those tables?" The chances are slim that will find anything that is (a) worthy of being purchased when it has been marked down so much and will (b) work on the one console I own. I think it over until I'm nearly down the escalator, which means I thought it over for a while. Then, I decided. I'll take a chance.

I reach the bottom floor, do a U-turn, head back up the up escalator, and head over to the 50%-off video game tables. I skip over one table, because none of the games are for Xbox 360. I go to the second table and spot some 360 games. I have minimal interest in the 3 games I initially see. I skip the NCAA and MLB-themed games because I am not that into sports. And I don't have much interest in SEGA Superstars Tennis. Then, a game catches my eye. I pick it up. I have never seen this game before. I have never even heard the name before. But I pick it up still. I read the title:

Viking: Battle For Asgard

I turn it over. The following is the paragraph on the back describing the game's plot. I have not changed any of it. There is not much else on the back of this game to help it sell. This paragraph is the only thing that stands between me buying this game or throwing it back on the pile. This is what it said:

"You are Skarin, a rage-fueled Viking warrior hell-bent on revenge. The goddess of death has resurrected a legion of demon warriors to overrun mankind and begin the apocalypse. Wage all-out war to annihilate the enemy and free the Earth from the grip of the Underworld."



I'll start playing it on Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Giggle giggle. Let me know how those lightening bolts work out :)

    ReplyDelete